Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

Design Contest - Ideas Needed

(83 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Christopher
  • Latest reply from 1websitebuilder

No tags yet.

1. Christopher

For the next contest we need ideas on what you would like it to be about, initial thoughts are revolving around the "Your favourite ..." theme but other ideas ae welcome. Please note this will be an Open Designs contest and not externally sponsered.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mammut

What about yellow bussiness design ? :D...Nope, I just need to come with something original and yellow/grey for my company and can't figure out what shoud it look like. But other than that, I dont't know. I'd stick with some defined colors/layout (I mean like - clean, dark, pastel, rainbow :)), relative/absolute or rounded design or whatever more than theme like "your favourite...". When there was this fav book contest, almost half of them were about LOTR if I remember correctly. No offense, it is a great trilogy, altough I am more into Pratchett and almost all the designs were great, but it would be good to see some diversity. Or "Spring season", because I am getting really narty with this wet weather here. However, I'll attempt to take part if I can find some spare time.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. null

In the spirit of open source... "Your Local Community Website"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mammut

I should learn to keep my posts as straightforward as yours Pete. I tend to cover mine with useless stuff .:bakie:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Mike Weiss

Industrial design has always been challenging for me, I think it would be fun to try something along those lines. OR... A better version of your local government website. Most small local government websites suck.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. NickyD

My opinion is simple: My only request for the next contest would be to somehow incorporate things from the prior contest into this contest. What this means: Some here worked very hard on the first contest with no payoff. As a result, much of their work went unnoticed. I think it would be nice to allow them to somehow modify their designs to be used in this new contest. Just my 2 cents. I also like Pete's idea, and yes, he is always straighforward :shocked:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Mike Weiss

By the way, the title of the discussion is misleading. I came in looking for Lorem Ipsum comments!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. yugnats

Posted By: Mike WeissA better version of your local government website. Most small local government websites suck.
    i like this idea, very original....plus len makes a valid point about the work others put into the OR contest.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. SeanPollock

Desk layouts (the template is based on a desk). Those are always sexii, and I haven't done something like that for a while.. (I'm getting rusty).
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Gnome

I like the industrial idea, as well as the local government idea. Or we could do a contest with no images, or using only Comic Sans MS, or designs which look like newspapers, with extra emphasis on typography and readability. We are almost due for a new design here, but perhaps that will work better in the summer.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. icyone

gallery or e-commerce themes :bigsmile:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Comic Sans? Really? Well, to each their own. Here are things I would like to see:
    • Image Free - You can't beat fast loading
    • Best use of Typography - Why is this so underrated?
    • Lightweight - Give a size limit for all files combined, entries must be under that.
    • Flexible - Designs that can look quite different by just changing the stylesheet (an abstract take on the CSS Zen Garden approach). My designs may not be beautiful, but look at Minimalist and you will see that it has one main stylesheet and a bunch of additional ones that can be included to make it look differently (color and layout)
    • OD Garden - Make a semantic XHTML file that is well-classed and has plenty of well placed IDs, and have people create a design that uses that file AS IS (they supply images and CSS). This is a not-so-abstract take off of CSS Zen Garden
    • Charity - Find a quality charity or socially proactive organization that needs a quality web design. One such socially proactive business that I am affiliated with (nothing to hide here) is Acholi Beads. I'm sure there are plenty of other great ones out there, and would be willing to collect a list if people are interested. I can also put you in contact with the person you would need to talk to about Acholi Beads.
    Any of the above would be interesting in my opinion.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. summitr

I really like the idea of doing a contest for charity.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. greg

i like gnome/aaroncampbell's 'image free' suggestion - it would be interesting to see what different designers come up with.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. bluecafe

Posted By: gnome.. or designs which look like newspapers, with extra emphasis on typography and readability.
    All posted ideas sound great but I especially like this idea .. newspaperlook.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Jan

I especially like the OD garden and image-free ideas.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Did this thread die?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Jeremy

I completely agree w/ Len.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. zanzibar

Almost died and got revived somehow, I check the forum almost daily and missed this one. I think the OD garden idea is fantastic...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. greg

bump admins, can we please have a contest soon? :bigsmile:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. null

Maybe before we come up with a theme we should sort out the rules and how to make the contest work...lets get a commitment first that it is going ahead and that it will work. Pete
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. kirby145

I think prizes should be like 1st - $50 2nd - $30 3rd - $20
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. null

Should they only be like those amounts or should they be the actual amounts?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. kirby145

It's just a suggestion
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. null

just taking the p*** Kirby ;)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. icyone

Don't mind Petie Kirby, he does not cats either (mental disorder) :shocked:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. Ganesh

The OD Garden idea sounds good
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. greg

so openwebdesign just completed a contest, will we get one any time soon? :bigsmile: some admins joining this thread would be nice.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. null

When this thread started, I was holding my breath for a contest but then I turned blue, fell unconscious and vowed never to do it again... ok. maybe just one more time... here we go!... GULP!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. greg

i'll keep the respirator close by, i think you'll be needing it :sad:
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.